This is a mystery cake with a difference. The yummy scone dough hides the best savoury meatloaf underneath. Easy to cut and looks great when served. Shine at your next dinner party with a classic favourite with a twist.
- 1KG Beef Mince
- 3 rashers bacon – diced
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 1 medium onion – diced
- half green capsicum – diced
- salt, pepper, stock cube, paprika
- 1 egg
The trick here is to mix it in with a blunt knife. Don’t over knead it and you have the lightest scones ever. The milk needs to be blood temp or the cold makes the pastry go tough. Too warm and the butter melts.
- 500g self-raising flour
- 150g cold unsalted butter – can be grated too or diced.
- 1 cup milk – tepid
- salt, pepper
- quarter cup onion – finely diced
- half cup tasty cheese – grated.
- Firstly line a cake tin with greaseproof or silicone baking paper.
- in a bowl, mix mince, and all other ingredients thoroughly.
- press meat mix into cake tin.
- sift flour, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- add finely diced or grated cold butter.
- using a blunt knife, stir in tepid milk until just mixed but still soft and pliable.
- layer dough mix across the top of the meat.
- brush milk/egg mix over the dough.
- bake for 45-60 mins moderate oven.
- serve with greens and mushroom gravy.