Visitors arrived and nothing in the cupboard? Last minute invitation and MUST bring something? We’ve got you covered!
As you know, this is my Go-To recipe for last minute dramas. Baked and served within an hour and it is SOOO impressive!
Last minute BBQ invite yesterday so here is a step by step guide to making your Swiss roll.
Ingredients: 4 eggs, 2 tablespoon water, 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup self raising flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- Dont be scared of the eggs. Throw them, water and sugar in a bowl and set mixer to high for about 5 mins. The mix will be as light and fluffy as if you split the eggs and beat them separately.
- Sift cocoa and flour twice.
- When eggs are nice and fluffy and very pale,
- Add the flour mix. Stir in wiht a metal spoon, lightly. DO NOT over stir.
- Spray your silicone paper in a baking tray and have ready.
- Pour the mix and smooth with a knife to be even.
- Bake in a high medium over for 6 minutes, turn tray around and bake for another 3 minutes. Cake is cooked when tapped in the centre.
- Landing Pad: Take note of the layout. Which way your paper is facing, the uncurl at the back against the bench wall, the sprinkling of coats sugar not fine. Have this ready.
- Flip the cake quickly onto the greaseproof paper.
- Using the tea towel, roll the cake quickly and gently. Roll up for about 1-2 minutes.
- Then unreal and lift the paper of the cake.
- Let the Cake cool while you whip the cream. It only takes a few minutes.
- Spread jam and/or brandy/fruit onto the base.
- Cover with whipped cream. **Note the cake usually isn’t this dark on the edges but was setting up for photos and went a minute over on baking**
- Roll up using the teatowel to hold everything together, roll up folding the paper back as you go.
- then simply lift onto a serving platter and cover just with icing sugar, or a coat of cream. decorate anyway you like.
- BINGO! On the table with coffee within the hour.